Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Taste of Fall - Butternut Squash


Welcome to the Fall season!  This is my favorite time of year.  Apples, pumpkins, cider, squash, cranberries!  I cannot get enough apple cider or tastes of fall on my dinner plate.

Last night, I attempted to make something new.  My husband is big fan of butternut squash. 

Well........

Butternut Squash - 1
Mara - 0

I must admit that butternut squash has officially defeated me in the kitchen.  My Mom gave me an extra squash and it was the first time that I prepared it myself.  I've watched my Mom cut and prepare it.  How hard could it be?  I think I realized why she was so eager to give it away.

It seemed as though I had lost all culinary abilities as I stared blankly at the squash.  Where do I even start?  I grabbed a parring knife.  Too small.  I opted for the larger butcher knife.  Too large.  It was the most amateur display of knife cuts that I've ever done. 

Despite my lack of squash cutting talent, the recipe turned out fairly well.  I have also tried this recipe with sweet potatoes.  I hope you enjoy it... and that the squash cooperates with you.

Autumn Spiced Butternut Squash
- 1 butternut squash (or 4 medium sized sweet potatoes, if you prefer)
- 1 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 TBSP of honey
- 1/4 TBSP of cinnamon
- Freshly grated nutmeg (just a few times up and down the microplane - a little goes a long way)
- Course black pepper and salt

Cut the squash into cubes (if you're making sweet potatoes... cut them into long french-fry-like strips).  Spread evenly over a baking sheet.  Cover with the remaining ingredients.  The easiest way to mix all ingredients thoroughly is to use your hands.  Make sure that all pieces are evenly coated.  Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.  It's quick and easy ... if you know how to cut it! 


I also prepared boneless pork chops to go with the squash.  Simply apply an even distributition of dried thyme, Worcestershire sauce, EVOO, granulated garlic, salt and pepper over the pork.  Bake at 425 for 25 to 30 minutes.  It was quite tasty!

I wish you all a delightful Fall season! 


We could all use a hint of more time!
Copyright 2011 A Hint of Thyme.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment