Tonight's dinner was created (yet again) at random and inspired by mexican taco's or enchiladas. It's actually fairly simple.
Prep time = 20 - 25 minutes
Cook time = 25 - 30 minutes
Hashbrown Enchilada Casserole
- 1 lb of hash browns (I used cubed instead of shredded but, it doesn't matter what you choose)
- 1/2 of a sweet onion
- 1 cup of diced tomato (I chose grape tomatoes this time.. it took longer to cut so.. pick something else)
- 4 cheese Mexican (I used Reduced Fat)
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of mild red enchilada sauce (my hubby is spice sensitive.. I'd prefer spicy)
- (Optional) 1 lb of ground meat
- (Optional) 1 jalapeno
- 1/2 of diced scallions (add at the end)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine the ingredients in any particular order.. doesn't matter. Make sure all ingredients are evenly distributed in the casserole pan. Add the cheese to the top and cover with aluminum foil.
Bake at 425 for 20 minutes - covered. Add the scallions. Uncover. Bake for an additional 5 - 7 minutes.
This was my first time making this recipe. Oh my goodness.. Wow! Every bite has a different texture and flavor. The tomatoes give it a sweetness and the beans give it softness... the potato and the onion have contrasting texture. It was surprisingly delicious.
I don't think I have ever seen Jon eat his dinner so fast. I did actually time him and he consumed the large proportion of the casserole in less than 3 minutes. I was shocked yet satisfied with his reaction to my cooking. I'm sure that your man will love it too.