Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What's in my refrigerator? - Part 1

As a creative food lover, one of my favorite things to do is take a bunch of items out of my refrigerator and mix it with a pasta. You may find that a lot of my blogs end up being some sort of pasta or pizza dish. I will try to branch out as I get more and more adventurous. Please keep in mind that I don't really measure anything when I'm cooking.. so this is more of an assumption.

But who doesn't love pasta? There is SO much that you can do with it. On this particular day, Jon and I had a bunch of new vegetables in the fridge. I paired this dish with a simple salad and called it a night...

The inspiration for this dish was pizza. I was in the mood for pizza but, didn't have dough or enough cheese. So here is what I used...

Tomato & Basil Pizza Pasta
- 2 and a half cups of pasta (shape doesn't matter. Use something that isn't a spaghetti noodle and isn't flat.)
- 1 small jar of plain tomato sauce
- Half of a sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil
- 1 cup of sliced cherry tomatoes - or you can use a different kind of tomato
- 2 hand fulls of shredded mozzarella
- 1 clove of grated garlic
- 2 tablespoons of EVOO
- Salt and Pepper

Cover and bake at 425 for 15 - 20 minutes in a medium sized pan. I will be completely honest and say that I don't know what or if there is a name for that pan but that's okay.. you get the idea. Check the dish after 15 or 20 minutes, uncover and bake for an additional 5 minutes.

You can add the basil before or after baking this dish. You can also add meat, if you prefer. A great choice would be pepperoni, italian sausage - sliced or chunked.

Serve and enjoy!


You will love how fresh it tastes and the uniqueness the pasta brings, rather than pizza dough. I'd like to suggest a semi-dry fruity chardonnay or pinot grigio to go with this dish. :)


Copyright 2010 Hint of Thyme.  All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your launch! I have been waiting impatiently, errr, I mean I have been waiting anxiously for this to go up. Mmmmmm, wish I'd grabbed some fresh basil this morning at the store. This looks so yummy. My mom gave me an indoor garden countertop machine for Christmas, but the light stays on almost all the time and we needed a break from that. Love that you made it without meat, with the option to add it if you want, probably not what most would do.

    ReplyDelete