But who doesn't love pasta? There is SO much that you can do with it. On this particular day, Jon and I had a bunch of new vegetables in the fridge. I paired this dish with a simple salad and called it a night...
The inspiration for this dish was pizza. I was in the mood for pizza but, didn't have dough or enough cheese. So here is what I used...
Tomato & Basil Pizza Pasta
- 2 and a half cups of pasta (shape doesn't matter. Use something that isn't a spaghetti noodle and isn't flat.)
- 1 small jar of plain tomato sauce
- Half of a sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil
- 1 cup of sliced cherry tomatoes - or you can use a different kind of tomato
- 2 hand fulls of shredded mozzarella
- 1 clove of grated garlic
- 2 tablespoons of EVOO
- Salt and Pepper
Cover and bake at 425 for 15 - 20 minutes in a medium sized pan. I will be completely honest and say that I don't know what or if there is a name for that pan but that's okay.. you get the idea. Check the dish after 15 or 20 minutes, uncover and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
You can add the basil before or after baking this dish. You can also add meat, if you prefer. A great choice would be pepperoni, italian sausage - sliced or chunked.
Serve and enjoy!