Friday, March 4, 2011

Friend Food Feature - Coconut Curry Soup


I love it when good friends can share their passion for food together.  I've had a few friends volunteer to cook a meal in exchange for food blog publicity; which is always a treat.  So I found it extra special when one of my great and long-time friends, Danielle Laux (@babumonkey), offered to come over and make soup at my house.

She arrived at my house with a smile and a bag full of groceries.  It's been a while since anyone cooked for me in my own kitchen.  This is a very nice treat, I thought.

According to Danielle, she found this recipe on SavorySweetLife.com.  Coconut Curry Soup is something that you can find in any Thai restaurant.  By making it at home (or in a friend's kitchen in this case) you will probably save yourself about $5.00.

Coconut Curry Soup
- 2 TBSP of olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped finely (but if you'd like to get really fancy, like Danielle, you can use a mixture of green, red and yellow)
- 1 cup of cooked, chopped chicken (I am going to say this is optional, especially if you'd like to keep your lunch light)
- 1 cup of cooked rice (use minute rice for a faster cook time)
- 2 TBSP of red curry paste (add more or less depending on how much heat you can tolerate)
- 3 TBSP of brown sugar
- 13.5 oz can of unsweetened Coconut milk or cream
- 21 oz of chicken broth
- Optional:  a few sprigs of cilantro

In a large sauce pan or wok, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onions, peppers and carrots.  After approximately 5 minutes, add the curry paste, brown sugar, chicken, and rice.  Stir until the curry paste is completely incorporated.  After 3 or 4 minutes, add the chicken broth and coconut milk.  Stir and the reduce heat to low.  Heat for 15 - 20 minutes.  Serve and enjoy!

While there are a few exotic flavors in this dish, it might surprise you.  I thought it was a very well balanced soup between the spicy, sweet, and tangy flavors.  Truly a great Thai meal.  Give it a try!

Copyright 2011 Hint of Thyme.  All rights reserved.

1 comment: