Sunday, August 28, 2011

Meatless Monday - Thai Curry Rice

Meatless Monday


If you are anything like me, Monday's are one of the most hectic days of week.  Usually I will forget to thaw some kind of meat, the phone doesn't stop ringing and dinner is the last thing on my mind.  This is how Meatless Monday's got started in my house.

This post will share an easy recipe for Meatless Monday and some quick fix tips to make your dinner time a little easier.  If you are not a fan of yellow curry recipes please read on... I have substitute suggestions below.


Easy Dinner Tip 1:  Wal-Mart grocery has pre-packaged stir fry vegetables in the produce section.  The bag is mixed with carrots, peapods, broccoli and bean sprouts.  Other grocery stores may carry something similar.  It saves me from the hassle of cutting individual vegetables and having too many left over.  Just rinse and combine with the dish.  It cuts your prep time in half.

Easy Dinner Tip 2:  If you prefer to use vegetables that have not been pre-packaged that's okay.  Wash and cut the vegetables ahead of time.  I've found the best time for me to do that is right after I get home from the grocery store or market.


Prep time = 10 minutes
Cook time = 15 minutes

Thai Curry Rice
- 2 cups of Jasmine rice
- 3 1/2 cups of water
- 1 bag of fresh stir-fry veggies (or what ever you prefer)
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 TBSP cumin
- 1/2 TBSP turmeric
- 1 3/4 TBSP yellow curry
- 2 TBSP sesame oil
- 1/2 TBSP honey
- (Optional) Crushed red pepper OR Hot sesame oil
- Salt and pepper

In a medium sauce pan, bring the rice and water to a rolling boil.  Reduce heat to low and cover.  Set aside after all the water is absorbed and the rice is no longer crunchy.  In a wok or large skillet, add the sesame oil over a medium-high heat and let it warm for 1 or 2 minutes.  Add the onion with salt and pepper.  Add the stir-fry veggies and honey.  Heat thoroughly and add the rice.  Combine the ingredients.  Then add the additional spices; cumin, turmeric, curry and optional spices.  Heat through for 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and serve.

I also added half a bag of frozen peas for extra texture and flavor.  It was probably one of the easiest dishes that I made all week.  Plus, my husband was very pleased with his dinner.  An easy side dish could be a salad or store bought egg rolls.

If you are not a fan of yellow curry you can substitute it with a Chinese Five Spice instead. 

Have a great Meatless Monday!


We could all use a hint of more time!
Copyright 2011 Hint of Thyme.  All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. I love the yellow curry and your rice looks delicious- I could make a meal out of this dish no problem;-)

    ReplyDelete