Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Glimpses into the Garden


During the month of March and April, we had a very unexpected early spring in the state of Wisconsin.  It's typical to get snow until the end of April or even into May.  But, not this year.

This year, Jon and I decided to build a raised garden.  As mentioned in several posts, I have a back condition that causes me to be in chronic pain.  My husband was sweet to think of building me a raised garden; which means... NO bending!  I am able to garden with the rest of them and love it.

Putting this raised garden together posed a few challenges, but it was definitely worth the effort.  We picked out the vegetable plants and seeds; green beans, green pepper, red pepper, jalapeno, Thai basil, squash, 5 tomato plants, lettuce, and peas.  It's pretty ambitious for 2 people that haven't gardened before.

Raised garden after planting in May
The plants have done very well; especially with unusual heat waves in our part of the country.  I am already creating fun and easy recipes for the vegetables that are harvested.

Over the last 2 weeks, our squash plants have flourished in this hot weather climate.  It has gone from slightly hanging over the edge to weaving it's vines into the grass below.  I probably could have researched what to expect when planting squash, but it has been fun to watch.  Check it out...

Squash plant - 6 weeks after planting
Jon and I are out in the garden every day to water it and check the progress of our plants.  It has been so much fun and can be surprisingly relaxing.

Since we have an abundance of squash buds beginning to grow, I've been looking for tips on how to cook Squash blossoms (otherwise we will end up with 74 squash to eat).  If you're looking for unique recipes to try... keep an eye on Hint of Thyme.  I will be posting the experience of eating and a recipe for Squash Blossoms.  And yes, it involves stuffing them with some sort of cheese.  Mmm!

Have a very Happy 4th of July.


Copyright 2012 Hint of Thyme.  All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment