Monday, November 29, 2010

Giving Thanks Where Thanks Is Due

Do you ever feel like no matter how many times you say.. "Thank You" it just isn't enough?  This is what I love about Thanksgiving.  For me.. it is more than grubbing on juicy turkey and starchy side dishes.  It's a day to reflect on the blessings from God over the last year.  This is something that we should do every day but, Thanksgiving is a chance to really take a look at all we have been given and say "Wow, God has been so good to me. I am so undeserving but, thank you!"

Thanksgiving is the ultimate comfort holiday.  It's a chance for some of us to grab a pair of slippers, put on fat pants, pig out on pie, watch Christmas movies, unplug the phone and play games with family.  Is there anything better?  It was the first time in a long time that I felt disconnected from the world and connected to the people that mean the most to me - my incredible family.


Over the years, I've had the pleasure of watching my mother develop the fine art of orchestrating Thanksgiving dinner for a constantly growing family.  I can quite honestly say that the 1 turkey, 7 side dishes, 2 bread options, 2 cranberry options, and condiments are ALWAYS packed with flavor.  I am so thankful for my Mom's ever-growing patience and kitchen skills on this holiday.  She is such a blessing to our family.

This year, I filled my plate with sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, turkey with gravy, and stuffing that will make your mouth do cartwheels.  With the combination of love, fellowship and great food... what is better than Thanksgiving?  There is such a feeling of warmth and comfort when you look at your plate of Thanksgiving dinner.....


... immediately followed by a loosened belt and an afternoon turkey coma.  Shortly followed by pie, coffee, and perhaps some wine.  Seriously.. I LOVE this holiday.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment