Saturday, November 6, 2010

Lasagna Inspired - Husband Tested

As mentioned in my earlier blog, Inspiration in a Bowl of Meat, I decided that I was going to create a dish that was inspired by my Mom's lasagna.  I really wasn't sure how this was going to turn out or if it was even going to cook correctly but.. I was going to give it a go.

Earlier this week, I gathered all my typical lasagna ingredients and replaced the noodles with......... pizza dough. :) My ultimate goal in this dish was to make it taste like lasagna AND also taste like pizza.  I knew that it would be a challenge to keep it from being soggy and watery.  So, I have a theory on how to fix my error...

Lasagna Pizza
- 1/2 or 1 lb of ground meat (I used turkey meat but, sirloin or pork would be good too)
- Half of a medium size onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 jar of pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 TBSP of fennel seed
- 2 TBSP of dried Parsley
- 1 lemon - squeezed (or you could use 1 TBSP of lemon juice)
- 1 container of ricotta cheese (sorry, I didn't write down the size but I'd guess that it was 2 cups)
- 1 bag of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 roll of pizza dough (I used store bought Pillsbury but, you are welcome to make your own if you prefer)
- Salt and pepper

So, I started by laying out the pizza crust on a baking sheet.  To avoid a watery pizza.. I would suggest baking the pizza dough alone before applying the toppings.  Follow the directions.. or just bake at 425 until golden brown - which would take 8 to 10 minutes.  While the crust is baking, brown the ground meat in a separate pan - add the fennel seeds at this point (the fennel will give it that pizza taste).  In a bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, lemon, parsley and garlic.  Once the crust is done baking and the meat is browned.....

.... Spread the ricotta cheese mixture over the top of the crust.  You might notice that I did not bake the crust first.. my pizza was a little watery.  On top of the ricotta mixture... spread a layer of the pizza sauce.  The point of lasagna is to see the distinguished layers and that was something I was trying to keep in this dish as well.

Over the pizza sauce, add a layer of ground meat.  If you don't like too much meat on your pizza.. I would recommend only getting a 1/2 pound.  Over the top of the meat, add a layer of cheese. 

Bake at 425 for 10 to 12 minutes. 

Serve and enjoy! 

The taste is pretty incredible.  It really does taste like lasagna and pizza had a baby.  The spices and flavors blend perfectly and you do get the 2 separate tastes.  Very delicious.  I hope you like it.




No comments:

Post a Comment