Saturday, October 30, 2010

I Ate Steak.. and the Farmland's Rejoiced

It was 9 years ago that I willingly gave up red meat.  Not for any religious beliefs or animal rights reason.  I've never really enjoyed red meat.  It's just a personal choice.

I can, in fact, remember the last time that I ate a steak.  It was the night of my high school graduation almost 9 years ago and it was at a restaurant in Hales Corners.  Someone once said that I probably don't like steak because I must have eaten a poorly grilled steak.  Hmm.. nope.  I'm not sure what it was.  I don't know if the texture bothered me.. or the fact that a dead animal was still bleeding on meat on my plate.  What ever the reason.. I just plain and simple did not want to eat red meat any more.

Well, 6 months ago I married a red meat lover.  My husband is your typical meat and potato kind of guy.  This past week, he was out of state for work and had to endure the vicious winds of our recent land hurricane in the midwest.  He worked so hard and had one request upon his happy return.  Steak.

I'm sure that you could see my dilemma.. not being a fan of meat.  Usually if the hubby wants a steak.. he will pick it out and grill it himself.  The task of finding the perfect steak for him posed to be quite the challenge.  But, like every woman that loves her husband... I marched right up to that deli counter at the grocery store and.... asked for help.  I'm sure that every blonde hair on my head was beaming as I said, "Umm.. my husband wants steak and I don't eat steak so I don't know what to get but, can you pick out something lean and seasoned for him.  Please and thank you."

For my husband's returning meal I made him steak, smashed potatoes, and salad with his favorite dressing.  Usually I will thaw a chicken breast for myself but.. completely forgot.  So, I ate steak.  And guess what... I actually liked it.  :)  I mean.. I should practice what I preach... do not ever be afraid to try something that you once didn't like to eat.  Taste buds change.. things change.. you might surprise yourself.

Here is the smashed potato recipe...

Parmesan Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- 1 or 2 lbs. of red potatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 TBSP of fresh or dried parsley
- 2 TBSP of italian seasoning
- 1 TBSP of olive oil or butter
- 2 cups of sour cream
- 1 medium sized diced onion
- 1 of finely shredded parmesan cheese (I used a blend of Asiago and Parmesan)
- Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large pot, bring the red potatoes to a boil - cut into the same size pieces and NOT pealed.  Once they are fork tender.. drain into a colander and let it sit.  In the pot, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil (or butter, if you prefer)... this will take some of that raw flavor out.  Saute to your preference - I prefer mine to still have a crunch.  Do not saute the garlic too long, otherwise it will burn.  Add the spices at this point.. parsley, italian seasoning, salt and pepper.  Add the potatoes back into the pot.  Combine.  Over low heat.. add the sour cream.  Take out your days aggression on your food by smashing it.  They do make fancy tools for dishes like this but.. if you do not have a smasher.. a large spoon or fork would serve the same purpose.  Once all ingredients are combined... add the cheese, cover and let it melt.

The textures and flavors compliment each other well.

My steak.. medium well. 

I paired this with a salad and a homemade honey balsamic dressing.  My meat and potato guy was very happy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment