Friday, January 28, 2011

How to Cook Steak on Day 2

One day this week (per the request of my husband) I cooked a 4-lb Angus Steak for him.  Since I am not a huge fan of steak.. there was definitely a lot of meat leftover.  I don't know about you but, some times leftovers are really boring. 

Here is a fun way to dress up a dull steak or beef leftover!

Teriyaki Ginger Steak Stir-fry
- Half or full head of green cabbage
- 1 or 2 lbs of leftover steak meat (sliced or cubed)
- 1 medium size sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 TBSP of minced ginger
- 1 or 2 TBSP of fresh squeezed orange juice (optional: try adding the zest too)
- 2 or 3 TBSP of Teriyaki sauce (start out with 2, you can always add more)
- 1/2 TBSP soy sauce
- 1/2 TBSP rice wine vinegar
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil (or if you have sesame oil, I would suggest using that instead.. it will really enhance the flavors)
- 1 TBSP sesame seeds
- Salt and Pepper to taste

I started by slicing and then cubing the cabbage, onion and steak.  I wanted all the pieces to be of similar size so that it cooks evenly.  In a separate bowl combine the ginger, orange juice, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and only 1/2 TBSP of the olive oil.  Whisk the sauce until completely combined.  (And then try not to spill half of it onto the floor like I did. Oops!)  If you have a wok or large saute pan, use that - you will need a lot of room.  Add 1/2 TBSP of olive oil to the wok at a medium-high heat.  Add the onions.  Constantly stir the vegetables to avoid burning - especially if you are using a wok.  Add the cabbage after the onions become slightly translucent and soft.  Stir the onions and cabbage for a minute and then add the steak.  Continuing stirring the ingredients and add the teriyaki ginger sauce combination after the cabbage is soft and steak is warm.  Add the sesame seeds right at the end.  Serve and enjoy.



Oh my goodness!  Have you ever put food into your mouth and have one of those moments that requires you to close your eyes and loudly express "Yum"?  Wow.  I guarantee that you will love this.

If you are not a fan of cabbage, that's okay.  Dump some teriyaki on it and I promise that you won't even know that you are eating cabbage.  Delicious!  I almost forgot that I was eating steak.

A great choice of a side dish would be steamed jasmine rice (on the side only).  You can also add other vegetables to this dish.  I would suggest trying snap peas or bok choy.

Altogether this meal cost about $10 to make.  And it's so much healthier and quicker than calling for chinese take-out.

1 comment:

  1. Yuuum this is a great idea! I have steaks in the freezer and get tired of the same ol' thing. Can you do a superbowl blog please? I need some ideas! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete