Saturday, January 8, 2011

Stone Cellar vs. Botanas Fish Tacos

This week, my husband and I went to one of our favorite restaurants and brewery in Appleton.  In fact, my husband is part of the beer club there.  Stone Cellar Brewpub has fantastic food and very delicious home-made beer and wine.  If you don't drink.. you're in luck!  Stone Cellar also makes their own and very unique root beer.  I recommend it.

My choice for an entree that night was the Baja Fish Taco.  It was probably one of the best fish tacos that I ever ate.  The only other memorable fish taco that I've eaten was at Botanas Mexican Cuisine when I lived in Milwaukee.  Both versions of the fish taco were prepared differently and were served with condiments, seasoning and vegetable.

So what does a foodie do?  Inspired by both versions of the fish taco.. I naturally decided to combine them and make my own!

Botanas makes their fish taco in a very authentic Mexican style.  I believe they use a tilapia fillet and it can be breaded or grilled.  They also add red and green bell peppers and onion.  On the side is spanish rice, an absolutely refreshing serving of guacamole, lettuce, tomato, and salsa.

Stone Cellar seemed to take an American approach on the fish taco.  This taco came with a breaded fish fillet, served with a healthy dose of cheddar cheese, lettuce and baja sauce.  YUM!  It was so fresh and the sauce had the perfect kick of spice.  I would definitely order that again.

Tomorrow I will bring you the recipe for my version of fish tacos.  Love it or hate it... this puts a different spin on the typical ground meat taco.  Here is a teaser until the morning..... Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment