Saturday, November 19, 2011

Cooking With Wine - Chicken Dumpling Soup


A couple weeks ago we attended a weekly church group gathering.  During the discussion about food, some of the women in our group had expressed their love for a local restaurants' "dumpling soup".  They said that it did not have chicken but was undoubtly delicious.  I was intrigued.

Several days later I decided to create my own "dumpling soup", but would definitely include chicken.  This recipe is the perfect winter meal.  I also created it as a thank you dinner for my dear friend, Danielle (read about the soup that she made for me).

The soup is inspired by Paula Deen's recipe.  I was a bit cautious at first - considering how much butter she uses.  With numerous changes... I am able to call this soup my own.  I hope that you enjoy it as much as we did.  My husband said it was a "home run".  In man terms, I'll take that as pretty-gosh-darn-good!

Prepare time = 30 minutes
Cook time = 2 hours

Chicken Vino Dumpling Soup

Liquids:
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 4 cups of white wine (I recommend Sauvignon Blanc. Note: I only spent $3 on the wine)
- 1 TBSP of butter

Meat/Vegetable:
- 2 cups of shredded chicken (Tip: I used a store-bought rotisserie chicken and still had some left over)
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 peeled carrots, diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas or corn
- 1/4 cups fresh parsley, chopped

Spices:
- 1/2 TSP ground nutmeg
- 2 TBSP tarragon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 TBSP thyme
- Ground pepper to taste
- Kosher salt - approx. 1 1/2 TBSP

Dumplings:
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 TSP ground nutmeg
- 1 cup of milk
- Salt and pepper

Instructions:
Prepare all vegetables and meat before adding liquids to a large cooking pot.  Add the liquids to the cooking pot.  Gradually begin to add the chicken and all vegetables.  Season with salt and pepper.  Taste.  Then add all the spices.  Cook on medium-low heat for 1.5 hours, stir occasionally. 

In a medium sauce pan, heat the butter and milk to a slow simmer.  When it begins to slowly bubble, add the flour.  Remove from heat and add the eggs.  Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.  Whisk until dough is thick.  Use a tablespoon to from small to medium sized balls of dough.  Gradually drop dough into the heated soup broth.  Stir gently.  Cook on medium-low heat for another 30 minutes.  Serve and enjoy!

----------

I can shamelessly admit that creating the dumplings made me a bit nervous.  Everything turned out very well though.  We used a french bread for dipping.  If you choose to make your own bread... I would recommend a dill bread or fresh dinner roll.  Pair with a crisp glass of your favorite Riesling.

This recipe will make enough for 6-8 servings.  I hope you enjoy it! 

Please leave a comment and let me know if you try it.  Have a fantastic weekend!


We could all use a hint of more time!
Copyright 2011 A Hint of Thyme.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment