Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Low-Cal Eating: 3 Quick Tips and Recipes


I recently started a new workout plan with "NBC's Biggest Loser Workout" for Wii.  Forecasting even a small weight loss goal or trying different exercises has been less than exciting, as I have suffered from severe chronic back pain for more than a decade.  It's true that a body in motion stays in motion... so I picked up the Wii workout on a whim.  It has been fantastic thus far.  And I love that it's interactive.

One of the many features of the Biggest Loser Workout includes short video tips for exercising, lifestyle and diet.  I decided that I'd share some of the healthy eating tips with my devoted readers.  The lunch and dinner option came straight from the brain of this lady.  I cannot claim to be an expert on low-calorie diets, but I am working on gaining more knowledge.


Low Calorie Snack:
Cinnamon Apples - 70 calories
- 1 medium sweet apple (recommend Gala or Macintosh)
- 1/4 TBSP cinnamon
- 1/2 TBSP water
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or sweetener)

Chop the apple into bite size pieces and place into a microwavable bowl.  Add the water, cinnamon and very small amount of sugar or sweetener.  Stir.  Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes.  Delicious and nutritious!

Low Calorie Lunch:
Hummus and Turkey Sandwich - Approx. 230 Calories
- Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins (100 Calories)
- 3 pieces of turkey lunch meat
- Leafy greens or lettuce
- 2 TBSP of hummus (I have been enjoying the Sabra Spicy Hummus)

I'm not sure that this requires much instruction.  If you don't know how to assemble a sandwich... we have bigger problems.

Low Calorie Dinner:
Balsamic Dill Salad with Tuna - Approx. 300 Calories
- 1 can of tuna
- 1.5-2 cup of leafy greens or lettuce
- 1/4 medium sweet onion, julianed
- 1/2 fresh tomato, julianed
- 1 tsp of dried dill
- 1/2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper

Combine together in a bowl and enjoy!  It tastes great and was filling too.  Not satisfied yet?  Add a yogurt or the apple snack from above.


Thank you for taking the time to read some of my healthy eating tips and recipes.  If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to email them to me directly at hintofthyme@gmail.com.  I wish you all happy, healthy eating!  Have a great week.



We could all use a hint of more time!
Copyright 2011 A Hint of Thyme.  All rights reserved.

1 comment: