Tuesday, September 21, 2010

We're in Tomato Season!

The end of summer marks the beginning of tomato season. It is the beginning of Bloody Mary Festivals all over the state... the beginning of basement canning sessions across America... the beginning of many meals full of the fresh tomato flavor... and the beginning of many episodes of acid reflux for some of the unlucky ones.

Tomatoes were on sale at the grocery store last week and I also happened to find some great deals of colorful tomatoes at the Downtown Appleton Farmer's Market as well. Last week I was planning to make bruschetta but, decided to go with something a little different to use up the over-stock of tomatoes in my refrigerator.

I started by making bruschetta and then altered the recipe about half way through. This is about how 40% of my recipes start. And it ended up rather fantastic.. I hope you like it.

Balsamic Bruschetta Tortellini
- 3 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 TBSP of balsamic vinegar
- 1 or 2 cloves of minced or grated garlic
- 2 or 3 small to medium size chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of chopped scallions
- 1 box of tortellini (found in the pasta aisle.. not the dairy section)
- Salt and pepper

So I started by combining the EVOO and minced garlic into a serving bowl.  I whisked with a fork, added salt and pepper.  Then I refrigerated the mixture for 20 - 30 minutes.  While in the refrigerator.. boil the tortellini, drain and rinse with cold water.  Take the mixture out of the refrigerator and add the balsamic vinegar.  Whisk together.  In the same serving bowl, add scallions, tomatoes, and the tortellini. Combine and serve at room temp or chilled.


No need for additional herbs or spices.. let the tomato be the star in this dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment