Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Best Thing I Ever Ate!

Last week, I made a trip to the Farmers Market and bought a ton of tomatoes and basil to make bruchetta. Well some times life gets a little crazy and there is no time for something "fancy". Plus I wanted my husband to be around for this creation.. I knew his palate would be pleased. Our schedules didn't match up this week.

This morning I decided that I would make bruchetta for lunch. The tomatoes and basil wouldn't last much longer and I wasn't sure how long the bread would be good. When I checked the bread.. it was sporting a few spots of blue. I found this to be slightly inconvenient since bread is one of the essential parts of bruchetta. WELL, in times like these.. it forces us to get a little creative.

Thankfully, the Food Network came to my rescue. One of the shows this morning was making grilled cheese with salsa. PERFECT! I checked my refrigerator and I had the makings for a perfect grilled cheese.. including Muenster cheese - a great suggestion from a friend and reader.

Bruchetta Grilled Cheese
- 4 to 5 small or medium tomatoes (I used red, orange and yellow. Great fall colors!)
- 1 TBSP fresh basil
- 1/4 cup minced sweet onion
- 2 small cloves of garlic.. or one large clove
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 4 slices of Muenster cheese
- 4 slices of bread
- Butter (I used light)
- Salt & Pepper

I started by mixing the tomatoes, garlic, basil, onion and EVOO into a small bowl.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Over a medium heat, add the bread and cheese. To the top of the cheese..
add 2 heaping TBSP's of the bruchetta mixture. Add another piece of cheese over the mixture and then another piece of bread. The 2 pieces of cheese will act like a glue and hold everything in the sandwich.
Slice, serve, enjoy!

I paired this with Campbell's Broccoli and Cheese Soup.


Seriously.. one of the best things I ever ate. There is something extremely comforting about tomatoes and cheese on 2 slices of bread. I highly recommend this for lunch or dinner on a cool fall day.. it will bring you comfort and warmth. I hope you like it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment