Sunday, April 3, 2011
Can You BLT My Pizza, Please?
If you like pizza's with unique flavors and are more than just the average meat and cheese, then you need to try this recipe!
When I was a kid, my family and were visiting family in Iowa and happened to try a very unique and new style of pizza.... the BLT pizza. It was delicious - the kind of dish that you never forget. Years later my Mom found a recipe for making it at home. The rest is history. It has become a family favorite and something that my sister and I always try to make when we're together.
Honestly, it's probably not as scary as you might think. :)
Prep time = 10 minutes
Cook time = 12 minutes
American BLT Pizza
- 1 thin pizza crust (just get the store bought stuff in the dairy section.. it will save you a lot of time)
- 1 1/2 cup of diced tomato
- 8 chopped bacon slices (healthy option alert: use turkey bacon for fewer fat and calories)
- 1 TBSP of olive oil
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- 1 bag of shredded lettuce OR 3 cups of shredded Iceburg lettuce (of course you can always make it fancy with romane lettuce but iceburg seems to have the best texture for a topping)
- 2 or 3 TBSP of light mayo
- Salt and pepper to taste
That's it! Preheat the oven to 425. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and lay the pizza crust on it. There is not a traditional red pizza sauce in this recipe. Instead, add the olive oil directly to the pizza crust and spread until the dough is covered. Add salt and pepper to the dough. Apply an even layer of tomato and bacon. Cover with mozzarella cheese and bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
While the pizza is baking, combine the lettuce and mayo in a separate bowl. Stir until the lettuce has a light coating of mayo. It should be wet but not drenched. Add salt and pepper. This will not taste nearly as good if it's not seasoned properly.
After the pizza is done baking, let it cool off for 2 or 3 minutes. Add a thin layer of the lettuce across the entire pizza. Serve and enjoy.
It's so easy and definitely a crowd pleaser. You're friends and family will be asking you to make it again and again. Plus it gives you something that we could all use more of..... a hint of time!
Have a great week, readers!