Monday, December 6, 2010

Beefy Soup Gone Right!

Beef stew feels like winter in a bowl to me.  Although I haven't always been a fan of beef.. I do enjoy this hearty meal.  My husband is an enthusiast of beef stew so, I bought the ingredients to fix him a healthy, filling stew.

After all that excitement and preparation, I ended up skipping a major step.  I forgot to add flour to the meat after it was browned.  Our stew was more of a super delicious SOUP.... and we were actually okay with it.  So I'm rolling with my not-so-unfortunate mistake and calling this "Rosey's Beef and Vegetable Soup".

The great thing about home-made soup in the winter is that you can make 3 or 4 meals out of it.  You can also freeze it for a later date too.  Simple sides, such as dinner rolls or biscuits, add to a complete dinner.

Rosey's Beef and Veggie Soup
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. of stew meat (I buy it pre-cut because I am spoiled)
- 5 or 6 large, peeled carrots (chop into bite size pieces)
- 5 or 6 large celery stalks (don't be afraid to use the celery leaves - chop all into bite size pieces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 or 6 chopped potatoes (doesn't matter what kind of potato you use, as long as the pieces are the same size)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 container of cherry tomatoes, whole
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 1 cup of water
- 1 can of stewed tomatoes
- 2 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 TBSP of dry Basil
- 2 TBSP of dry Tarragon
- 1 TBSP of Sea Salt
- Cracked pepper to taste

Brown the meat in a separate skillet or in a large pot with EVOO.  Once the meat is browned combine all the ingredients in the large pot and bring to a boil.  After it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover.  Let the soup simmer for 35-40 minutes.  Serve and enjoy!

Before boiling

Check out those colors! This was after simmering for 40 minutes.

The fork didn't work so well after I realized this was a soup.

You may notice from the pictures that the vegetable pieces are larger in size and probably the size you would see in a stew.  When I make this again, I will cut the vegetables smaller for the soup.  I may even add some type of bean or lentil.  Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment