Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Art of Pasta Salad's

When invited to a party or planning a party.. you know of specific people with specific food specialities.  Do you have a speciality?  I have a few party favorites but, my over all favorite is definitely... pasta salads.  And when I say pasta salad, I am not talking about your traditional multi-colored noodle salad.

One of my main ambitions in life is to put a book of pasta salads together.  Everyone has there thing and this is just one of mine.  I truly see a bowl of pasta like a painter sees a blank canvas.  It is one of favorite kinds of art.. because you can eat it too.  :)

This weekend, we were invited to a Christmas party for church and the theme was "Italian Christmas".  We were asked to bring some type of salad.  PERFECT, I thought.  Immediately I thought of mini-pepperoni's and some type of oil dressing.  That's about as far as my mind went.  While walking through the grocery store.. the ideas began to flow.  I guess an artist just needs to be in their artistic environment in order to flourish.

Prep time = 10 minutes
Cook time = 10 minutes

Pizza Topping Pasta Salad
- 1 box of Rotelle pasta (or any type of pasta that is not flat)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 5 to 6 scallions, chopped
- 1 container of halved grape tomatoes
- 3/4 cup of chopped or torn Arugula
- 1/2 to 3/4 of Italian dressing
- 1 TBSP of sea salt
- 2 TBSP of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup of mini or regular size pepperoni
- 1/2 cup of Asiago & Parmesan cheese

In a large pot.. add water, sea salt, and 1 TBSP of Italian seasoning.  Bring to a boil and add the pasta.  When the pasta is tender, drain and shock with ice or cold water.  This will cool off the pasta quickly.  In a large bowl combine the rest of the ingredients.. including an additional TBSP of Italian seasoning and the Italian dressing.  Feel free to add salt or pepper to taste.  The arugula already adds a nice peppery taste and the pasta should be boiled with salt so adding additional salt of pepper won't be too necessary.

Everything combined.

Close up of the salad.

I hope that you enjoy this pasta salad.  There are many more to come.  


No comments:

Post a Comment