Sunday, December 26, 2010

Set it and Forget it - Christmas Morning


Set it and forget it.  That was one of my favorite things about our Christmas morning breakfast.  This year I decided to have a breakfast already prepared for the morning.  

The day before Christmas I mixed a breakfast bake together.  All I had to do in the morning was preheat the oven and put the dish inside.  Set it and forget it.

There are so many different varieties of breakfast bakes.  But here is one that I made for our first Christmas as husband and wife.  :)

Sausage Breakfast Bake
- 10 to 12 breakfast sausage links  (You can also use bacon - which is what I prefer but, I had sausage left over and wanted to use it up)
- 12 eggs
- 1 small diced onion
- 1 diced tomato
- 1/2 cup of chopped spinach  (I used frozen and drained spinach)
- 1/4 cup of shredded Asiago cheese
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning
- 1 TBSP seasoning salt
- 2 slices of diced white bread  (I had hoagie sandwich bread left over so I used that)

Brown the sausage (or bacon) in a skillet.  In a separate bowl combine the eggs and seasoning.  Whisk until completely combined.  Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl.  Pour into an oven-safe pan.  Cover and set aside until ready to bake.  

When ready to bake, keep it covered with aluminum foil.  Bake at 400 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes.  Serve and enjoy.  

Before baking in the oven.

Cooked and ready to eat on Christmas morning!
Yum!

Our Christmas morning also included a special coffee.  I just used our regular coffee.  In the bottom of the coffee mug, I added a couple dashes of cinnamon and then about 1 shot of Irish Creme Liquor.  It was a nice treat on our day off.  If I wanted to get really fancy, I also would have added whip cream and a dash of cinnamon to the top.  Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment