Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Man Needs Meat & Potatoes - Part 2

Let's be honest.. it is not very often that I, the woman, get a craving for a potato.  It's also not very often that I don't cook a meal with my husband's potato-loving tummy in mind.  So here is another one-pot meal that is similar to the first Meat & Potato post.

Due to the chaos of the Christmas season, the busyness that comes from working at a church, and the every day tasks.... I am almost embarrassed to say that I have not done a thorough grocery trip in over 3 weeks (I'm talking the kind of shopping that you hit every area of the store).  Shocking, I know.

My husband's job is seasonal and allows him to have off in the winter.  This means that our refrigerator primarily consists of manly substances - such as bacon and beer.  Yes, I am due for a large overhaul of my refrigerator.  I must take back my territory and fill it with heart-healthy non-bacon foods.. like lettuce, soy, and turkey.

Well until I have the opportunity to get to the grocery store, I was forced to tap into my food creativity yet again this week.  I looked through my slim-pickings and came up with this....


Country Chicken & Potato Bake
- 3 or 4 Chicken breast.. cut into chunks
- 4 potatoes thinly sliced (any kind of potato is fine.. no red potato though)
- 1 medium onion diced (If you don't like onion.. substitute this with celery or broccoli)
- 1 can Cream of Chicken
- 2 cups of white or brown rice
- 2 TBSP of basil
- 1 TBSP of 4/S Special Seasoning Salt (or just use regular seasoning salt and paprika) 
- Pepper to taste (do not add more salt until after baking - if needed.. the seasoning salt provides enough)

In a skillet, brown the chicken breast pieces and sprinkle with the seasoning salt.  In a medium sauce pan, cook 2 cups of rice.  Read the directions on the package or box of rice but it's typically twice the amount of water to the rice.  Once the chicken and rice is done cooking.. combine ingredients in a separate baking dish.  Add the rice, chicken, onion, and cream of chicken... mix thoroughly.  Add the potatoes, basil, and pepper to the top.  Bake covered at 400 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.  Uncover and add the cheese.  Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.


It is hearty meal that your man will love.  My husband had about 3 servings.  It's simple and probably includes ingredients that you already have.  Try this recipe tonight if you find yourself in a similar refrigerator crisis.  Enjoy!  



No comments:

Post a Comment